If it's happening in "The County", it's probably here.
Monday, June 22, 2020
AmadorArts: Seeking Nominations for Amador Poet Laureate - Deadline is July 31
Call for Amador Poets
Please don’t procrastinate. If you are a local poet or know someone who is, please be advised that the nominations deadline is July 31 for the Amador Poet Laureate Program.
This will be the second time that the Amador County Arts Council (“AmadorArts”) has announced the availability of the position of Amador County Poet Laureate. The first ever honor is currently held by Kat Everitt of Pioneer. As established by AmadorArts, the position is meant to respect local outstanding poets, integrate poetry into the community, enrich the education of our young people, and enhance the County’s position as a cultural center. The Poet Laureate is a two-year, volunteer, honorary position.
Now is the time to submit a nomination, and it may come from individuals or organizations within or outside the county. The poet must reside in Amador County, and poets may self-nominate. Nominating is easy.
Each nomination should contain:
1. Cover letter from the nominator identifying the nominator and/or the nominating organization with the recommendations for the nominee.
2. Name and short biography of the poet nominated (or resume) with contact information, a website address (if applicable) and a statement of interest by the poet (if not self-nominating).
3. Three to six poems by the poet.
The Poet Laureate’s named duties over the period of appointment include:
1. Presentations of poetry at an Amador County Board of Supervisors meeting.
2. Presentations at other appropriate public events, at least once each quarter.
3. Advocacy of poetry in the community, including, but not limited to, bringing poetry to school children, projects or programs that promote the appreciation of poetry, or poetry workshops with underserved populations in the community.
A qualified selection committee will convene in August and make the Amador Poet Laureate announcement in September. If the person selected has limitations, AmadorArts will assist in accessibility for public presentations.
To receive more information contact AmadorArts at email@example.com. Follow AmadorArts on Facebook or call 209-256-8166. Info is also on www.amadorarts.org. Mailing address is P.O. Box 206, Sutter Creek, CA 95685. Nomination packets may be mailed to our PO Box, postmarked by July 31, or emailed by midnight July 31 to the above email address.
The title of Poet Laureate is a time-honored tradition. In 1668, England officially established the post as a royal office. In 1937 the U.S. created the position of National Poet Laureate. The position of California Poet Laureate was established in 1915. If you want to ensure lifelong arts learning continues in our schools and community, click the Donate button at www.amadorarts.org.